5th Annual Lagos Studies Association Conference
Lagos in the World and the World in Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria – June 25-27, 2020
Established in 2017, the Lagos Studies Association is an international, interdisciplinary organization of academic and non-academic practitioners whose interest focus on Lagos and its peoples. Our members include scholars, students, activists, artists, teachers, donors, policymakers, and development professionals. Through exchanges between academic and non-academic practitioners, we anticipate deepening the rigor of contemporary scholarship as well as encouraging the integration of critical and thought-provoking questions into non-academic projects on Lagos. The LSA achieves its mission by:
- Promoting cutting-edge scholarship and access to key debates in Lagos studies.
- Forming sustained cross-disciplinary conversations among scholars who are working on Lagos from different topical and methodological standpoints.
- Encouraging sustained intellectual exchanges between scholarly theorizations of issues in Lagos studies and the work of non-academic practitioners working in related fields.
- Facilitating exchanges between scholars and practitioners to deepen the rigor of contemporary scholarship on Lagos.
- Encouraging the network of scholars and practitioners through our annual conference and other avenues such as workshops, seminars, and roundtables.
- Through professionalization workshops for graduate students, shape and support the development of emerging scholars.
- Collaborating with institutions and similar associations across the world to promote the study of cities through conferences, seminars, symposia, and other professional avenues.
- Aiding research of members by awarding research and travel grants.
- Publishing a yearly electronic Bulletin/Newsletter highlighting the works of academic and non-academic practitioners of Lagos.